This edition takes us back to the Philmont Trek Talk Group on Facebook. The crew discusses Trek Selection for Philmont. This will be split into two parts to make it easier to listen to in one session.
- Sal Porto is the Asst. scoutmaster with Troop 212 in Lutz Fl and has served in this role for the past 15 years. He is a Master Educator with LNT and teaches LNT for the Greater Tampa Bay Area council. He has been on 6 treks to Philmont since 2013, with trek 7 scheduled for 2022. Sal is a Philmont Ambassador and also the lead advisor on his council’s Philmont contingents. He also owns and operates Suncoast Wilderness First Aid and is a WFA/CPR/AED instructor. Sal is also a Backpacking, Hiking and First aid merit badge counselor. He is retired after 30 years with the USPS.
- Scott O'Mary is the scoutmaster at Troop 259B in Plano, Texas and has served in this role for the past 5 years. At Troop 259, he has created a 3-year program allowing scouts to attend all 4 BSA high adventure camps. In addition, Scott has served as crew advisor for 4 BSA high adventure treks - Philmont (Summer & Winter), Northern Tier and Bechtel Summit -- and is advisor to a Florida Sea Base trek in 2022. Scott is a Backpacking and Hiking merit badge counselor. His day job is with FedEx Services.
- Darrel Tadsen is a veteran of 45 years in scouting. Scoutmaster for 7 years, plus many other unit, district and council leadership positions. Currently serving as District Vice Chair. Multi-year adult crew advisor and council contingent advisor. Have hiked more than a few philmont treks. Retired. Previously employed as business office manager at a local university. A person who has been bitten by the philmont bug.
- Andy Parrish is the High Adventure Chair for Troop 152 in Westfield, IN. He has led crews to Boundary Waters & Philmont. He is a merit badge counselor for camping, backpacking, and canoeing. Andy is an outdoor adventurer and avid backpacker. His YouTube Channel -Andy Parrish Outdoors- shares information discussing backpacking, gear reviews, trip reports, various tips & tricks, and an entire section on Philmont Gear.
- Jeff Cress is the Skipper of Sea Scout Ship 4019 in Burlington, NC. He has trekked in the Philmont backcountry as a youth and adult Crew Advisor. Jeff is the Publisher at Gear-Report.com and has produced a variety of articles and videos covering gear and best-practices at Philmont Scout Ranch.
Leave a Reply.
Rob is a life-long Scouter who has been on several high adventure trips and hundreds of nights camping with his Scout Troop.
All Backpacking Camping Product Review
BSA National Bases
Trips by Activity
"The open-air is the real objective of Scouting and the key to its success."
© High Adventure Resources | This is not a BSA website.